Steve,
Q1:Ans-Well yes and know-depends on how you separate the client code.I like
to try and keep the client "generic" so I switch between MS Access and SQL
Server,Oracle.

Q2:Can the Oracle or whatever server be replaced by an ISeries running
> DB2/400?
Not sure as Im really confused with the OLE DB Providers.
IBM had a old Project Lightling Kit I think used ADO 2.0 -recently ungraded
to 2.5
but I dont think you can get it as a download without purchasing CA Express.
Microsoft is worse-You have to get Host Explorer or SNA Server 4.0 SP2 to
get
the provider.

Q3.> DTS?   DMO?  What pc components would be used to make your own
Enterprise
> Manager?You can install the client componants in SQL Server 7 or
2000--Developer Edition or MSDE CD that ships with VS 6.
Use the Package and Deployment tool for the client

Microsoft used the SQL DMO object model to make Enterprise Manager--there is
an Object libary that is very rich-you can even call wizards.
I use the DTS object libary in a VB app I working on a the moment--I use the
Code generator in DTS 2000 and tweak that--In your VBP references are made
to the DTS
Object libary--Its as easy as that.

cheers Dave