~~~What other methods are there to serve data without placing
~~~the AS/400 onto
~~~the internet ?
~~~Cyndi B.
~~~Boise, ID

Using WebSphere Application Server (WAS) allows you to have something other
than Microsoft serving pages, as well as Microsoft. We are using
WebSphere/Windows Server with java servlets to provide data to/from the
AS/400. There is more to it than a "servlet" on the internet side though.
The AS/400 must be able to serve and receive these data streams.
We use a product called LANSA that is quite robust. One benefit is AS/400
shops can deploy to the web platform of choice using as/400 staff to do the
application work. I don't know how flexible your "socket programs" are, this
is something I have not seen done with ASP. It sounds like a key point in
your search. (and interesting to me)

I was very impressed with Lansa, it can generate 5250 screens, GUI screens,
web-enabled screens from the same source. Your internal users could get a
different screen than a web user (if you wanted that). One signing on to a
5250 session and one going to a www... address.

Lansa does offer several add-on products for all the things that people
usually want, "rapid modeling" "visual bells and whistles"  etc... Lansa's
4GL generates RPG programs and standard physical files/uses existing PF's.
Your HTML/components and "everything" concerning the project is kept in a
repository. You can view RPG program listings it generates also.

>From what I understand, going with WebSphere alone, without a third party
product will work (with the new tool sets) but it's a much harder road to
follow. I'm sure there are folks here that can comment on WebSphere/java
enabling.

By the way, a lot of folks think that putting a "baby" as/400 out in front
of your data server, for web serving, is the very best way to go.

I have more info if needed.

Mark Villa in Charleston SC