Server,

Thanks for posting the contrary point of view.

Based on my spotty knowledge of sql server and oracle, the comparison of
db2/400 and sql server is a comparison of two different products.  Db2/400
is designed and works best when used as a tightly integrated database engine
"serving" applications running on the same system as db2/400. oracle and sql
server are designed to serve applications running on remote systems and be
interchangable with other database servers.

Using db2/400 to access a local database file using the database api or sql
calls works very well, accessing a db2/400 file via an ODBC call works, but
is a historical slow performer.

Does this square with what you know of sql server?  Can you give examples of
typical database io in a visual basic pgm or an excel spreadsheet accessing
a remote server's database?   Is ODBC used, what other database connectivity
options are there, how is the performance (nbr of database gets per
minute ), local lan and remote.

Thanks,

Steve Richter