From: "Douglas Handy" <dhandy1@bellsouth.net>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 1:54 AM
Subject: Re: DB2/400 comparisons with other relational databases
(specifically Oracle and SQL Server)

Dave,

>That is Paul Conte who wrote the db2/400 book and also Mike Otey.I have
>followed
>these two and I "think" and am pretty sure that they prefer SQL Server .

I think you have your books mixed up.  The only book on DB2/400 per se which
I'm
aware of that Paul worked on was "Database Design and Programming for
DB2/400",
written by Paul Conte alone and published in 1997 by Duke Press.  At the
time,
V3R6 was current.  (ISBN 1-882419-06-5)

Later Paul Conte and Mike Cravitz co-authored "SQL/400 Developer's Guide",
also
published by 29th Street Press (formerly Duke Press).  This book is based on
V4R5 features, and came out October 1, 2000. (ISBN 1-882419-07-7)

You seem to be thinking of either "SQL Server 7 Developer's Guide", written
by
Paul Conte and Mike Otey and published by Osborne McGraw-Hill on October 1,
1998
(ISBN 0-075525-48-2) or the update "SQL Server 2000 Developer's Guide" which
came out December 1, 2000 (ISBN 0-072125-69-1).

I suspect you read (or saw) one of the books on SQL Server, but not the one
nearly simultaneously updated on SQL/400, and jumped to the conclusion Paul
must
prefer SQL Server.

Still more recent are these quotes from Paul, published April 2001 in an
online
article on iseriesnetwork and titled "V5 Makes iSeries More Competitive in
Database Arena".  The article can be viewed at
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseactionÒewarticle&CO_
ContentIDÙ87

Here are two quotes from the article:

  "V5 continues to improve how DB2 UDB for iSeries stacks up against other
databases within IBM’s DB2 family and against Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server,
and
other relational database management systems."

  "From this point on, there’s little that should hamper the iSeries in
competing strongly against the other leading database platforms."

Neither of these quotes specifically mentions what is his preference or why,
and
I don't want to put words in Paul's mouth.  I just trying to set the record
straight that Paul and Mike Otey did not co-author a book on DB2/400.

Doug