They truly need to read the Memo to Users weeks before they plan on
upgrading.  These were pointed out here.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Leo Lefebvre
                    <leo@tug.ca>              To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:     BRussell@edsmith.com
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     V5R1

                    09/27/2001 09:36 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Here is a message I received from a friend:

BRussell@edsmith.com wrote:

> I was wondering if you could send out this information on the midrange
list.
> I am no longer a participant.  I am sending this note to some of the
> newsletters that I receive but I want to get the word out about these 2
> gotchas because I think there may be some other folks out there that get
> taken by surprise as we were.  We are finally fully back in business with
> these 2 applications but Jeff, John and I look pretty harried about now!
I'm
> too old for these 3 a.m. quitting times!
>
> Here's the story:
>
> We have just gone through a particularly painful V5R1 upgrade on our
> production system.  We were caught unawares when the upgrade did not
support
> the AS/400 firewall (the hardware is no longer supported) nor did it
support
> Wireless Connection Services, the licensed program that supports our RF
units
> in our warehouse application.  In our case, we are in an LPAR environment
so
> we were able to install the WCS on the second partition which was luckily
> still at V4R5 and reconfigure our  ccess point then using a generic
signon
> with automatic passthru, get our users back in business. In the case of
our
> firewall we  ad to download one off of the internet and configure it for
our
> environment.  We had run the V5R1 prep and not a word that  either  f
these 2
> applications would not be supported.  We were also OV customers and
Facsimile

--

Leo Lefebvre
Vice & Past President