On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Nathan M. Andelin wrote:

> sound normal.  I just tested FTP to transfer a *SAVF from library QGPL to a
> binary file in the IFS.  The transfer rate was 2 meg per second.  So a 1.3
> gig file would have transferred in about ten (10) minutes.  The WRKTCPSTS

Well I did a apples to oranges comparison because sometimes it gives
interesting results:  I transferred via ftp a file that is 1.1 gig from my
linux box to my linux box.  I used the network address (not 127.0.0.1).  I
was running gnome, mozilla, tn5250, some xterms, and some applets.  This
box is also our email server, though I doubt sendmail was doing much - we
don't get a lot of email here :).  Other trivia includes running linux
kernel 2.4.10-pre9-xfs (SGI's xfs filesystem installed).

>From start to finish ftp took 5 minutes 5 seconds to transfer the file.
The file size is 1106494258 bytes.

Then I transferred a file from my linux box to my as/400.  Now numbers are
really going to be off here because a gateway machine sits between me and
the as400, so network copies are going to slow things down.  The gateway
machine has linux kernel 2.4.7-xfs installed but not running anything but
sendmail and apache (which hardly gets used at all).  All our non-lan
traffic goes through the gateway so that's going to slow us down a bit.
There are only two of us here today and we are not generating much traffic
(other than the ftp I am doing).  Other relevant trivia:  10Mbps
unswitched ethernet from linux box to gateway, 16Mbps token ring from
gateway to as/400.  AS/400 is V4R1M0 model 9406-S10.  Linux box is pentium
233 with 128M ram, gateway is pentium 200 with 32M ram.  File was sent to
AS/400 as type BINARY.

>From start to finish ftp took 27 minutes 39 seconds to transfer the same
file.

I wanted to test sending to/from the gateway machine but I don't have
enough disk available.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com