Nathan,
I find it difficult to identify specifically any tool which is better than
another because my personal use is limited and such judgements are subjective.

In one site we used CorVu for some financial reporting which was adequate.
In another site we used Impromptu to report over a data warehouse of inventory,
again it did the job.
There was no specific requirement in either site for that tool, I believe both
tools were recommended by each sites respective BP.

In another scenario data was requested in a format that could be loaded into
Excel for distribution.
The easiest way at the time was to use Query to extract the data then CPYTOIMPF
(copy) the data to the IFS as a TAB delimited file.
The user was then able to access the data from Excel directly within the IFS,
apply additional formatting, save and distribute accordingly.

Another scenario a request was made for sales reports to be distributed to
representatives nationally.
RPG programs produced the reports within the application, however, using Joe
Pluta's CPYSPLFPDF (An excellent tool) to generate PDF files which were then
emailed accordingly.

Most ERP type applications provide their own Statements, Invoices, Purchase
Order, Cheque and other print programs. Most of which end up being modified for
local requirements.
There are products available which can capture the output then reformat and
print the output without modifying the application programs. I saw this done
with a product called CreatePrint and at the time I was quite impressed.

HTH

Norm