Thanks for the replies, Pete & Peter.

Pete, I was referring to actually doing this in a PDM list.
Specifically, I have a utility to move members from one source file to
another, with the ability to change the name of members being moved.
Also, keeps the same source's last changed date & time.

Anyway, I created a PDM user option 'MM' and it calls the MOVESRCMBR
program with parameters FromLib, FromFile, FromMbr, ToLib, ToFile,
ToMember, and Replace, the first six of which are using PDM substitution
"variables" &L, &F, &N, &L, &F, &N.  The utility actually saves the
members to a save file and, in the simplest scenario, restores them to
the target file.

When moving several members, it becomes quickly apparent that
performance is a major bugaboo when using this technique one member at a
time vs. doing them all together.

Therefore, Peter, I like your technique.  While not as "glamorous" as
the IBM "group" screens, it certainly would be the better option to what
I have now.

You've brought up another idea that I'd like to pursue in my *spare*
(three kids, two in boy scouts, one in girl scouts, one kid in soccer,
bowling once per week, and a homeowner, yeah right! <g>) time.  Building
a PDM clone.  At least a WRKOBJPDM clone.  Our five branch AS/400s have
no PDM for obvious reasons (no development on these boxes).  But, what a
pain to have to suffer through WRKOBJ and not have PDM-like options to
use.  Oh well.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company