> I've opened up a pmr with IBM 29653,500.  If I run this SQL interactively,
> I get success.  Therefore they feel that it is a problem on my
> end.

This is no answer, is it.  It just tells you the statement is valid.

When I
> argued about the difference between it working on V4R5 and not on
> V5R1 they
> said that perhaps there are 'errors' that they used to allow but now have
> locked down.

This is apparently true in one case atleast.  See The Four Hundred
newsletter (I think it's at www.midrangeserver.com). Also, IBM's website:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/sql0030.htm

Phil

PS: I've had similar experiences with Consult Line.