On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Shannon O'Donnell wrote:
> Using a socket program was a very good idea. I'd considered it once, but
> wasn't sure where to go with it. I went out to Scott's site and took a look
> at his tutorial.  Very, VERY! nice work on his part.  Excellent tutorial on
> how to use sockets!

Thanks!

> I think that using my own socket server would work if there was a way to
> call the AS/400's telnet emulation programs manually via the socket server.
> In otherwords, if I could use a socket to bind to a port of my choice, and
> then once I'm on that remote system, have the AS/400's telnet programs
> (those ran normally by the *TELNET server) initiated, then this approach
> would work really well.
>
> Without being able to call the same programs as used by the *TELNET server,
> I'd have to write my own telnet programs, and that's waaay more work than I
> want to tackle!

I think what Mr. Ross was suggesting is that instead of calling the telnet
server programs, you'd have your socket program receive requests on port
XXX and then just forward the data that it receives to port 23.

Basically, it'd be a simple proxy program, just copying the data from
one socket to another, and back...

If you wanted to take it a little further, you could even monitor which
data is being sent across, and insert extra data into the stream...  but
of course that would require a lot more work :)

> And, keep in mind (not sure if I'd said this in my previous posts or not...)
> that whatever solution I end up with, it'll have to work with AS/400
> sessions initiated by both PC clients and dumb terminals.

Which it would do, assuming the dumb terminal was serviced by the telnet
server...