V5R1 only includes the Standard Editon of WAS if you pre-order it. It
doesn't ship automatically with V5R1. Also, make sure that when you do order
it that your VAR understands that you are ordering 5733-AS3 and not the
Websphere Development Studio (WDS) product. I went round and round for 3
weeks trying to convince mine that I really did want to order WAS and that I
did in fact understand that WDS was already installed on my system. GEEZ!
They wouldn't believe me that it was two separate products.  (Avnet was the
VAR, in case you were interested).

WAS, as shipped, is at version 3.5. You have to upgrade it, via PTF's for
the iSeries and Service Packs for the PC, to get it to 3.5.4. And you
absolutely have to do this. It won't even run at version 3.5!

Order the product 5733-AS3 from IBM for OS/400. That also comes with a Win2K
client CD.

Then order the latest Group PTF for WAS. That'll upgrade it to 3.5.4.

Then go to the following website and download the fixpack for the client to
bring it up to version 3.5.4.
www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/efix.html

BUT!  before you do all this, visit this website:

www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/software/websphere/wsappserver/product
/migration.html

and read the instructions about migrating from earlier releases.

It's a real mess getting WAS going, and if you make a mistake anywhere along
the way, you almost have to start all over again.  Why this has to be so
hard, is beyond me.

Shannon O'Donnell