This morning I received the following error (some text removed for brevity).
I can fix the problem by following the recommended steps (ending journaling
and recreating the journal), but how do I prevent it from happening in the
first place? The CHGJRN JRNRCV(*GEN) SEQOPT(*RESET) seems to require that
there are no outstanding uncommitted transactions, which would be a rare
case for us. The receivers are system managed and have a threshold of approx
200 megs. The system is a 730 running V4R4. A nightly job creates approx. 20
gigs worth of journals during a series of recalculations done on our
accounting package.

Jay Himes
Liberty University

Message ID . . . . . . : CPF7003 Severity . . . . . . . : 40
Message type . . . . . : Escape
Date sent . . . . . . : 08/28/01 Time sent . . . . . . : 09:06:09
Message . . . . : Entry not journaled to journal TMSJOURNAL. Reason code 4.
Cause . . . . . : The entry was not journaled into receiver TMSJRN6781 in
library LBUCMCST or its dual receiver for journal TMSJOURNAL in library
LBUCMCST because of reason code 4. The object associated with this entry is
*N in library *N of type *N member *N, or has file ID
X'00000000000000000000000000000000'. If *N or hex zero appears, information
is not available or does not apply.
Reason code definitions:
4 -- Journal sequence number is at the maximum value.
Recovery . . . :
If receiver TMSJRN6781 in library LBUCMCST is no longer attached to
journal TMSJOURNAL, recovery using CHGJRN to attach a new receiver may not
be required.
Recovery for each reason code is:
2-4 -- CHGJRN to attach a new receiver and if necessary reset the sequence
number. If problem persists, delete the journal and either create or restore
the journal. To delete a journal, end journaling all objects (ENDJRNAP,
ENDJRNPF), and remove any associated remote journals (RMVRMTJRN command or
QjoRemoveRemoteJournal API). With a new journal, start journaling all
objects (STRJRNPF, STRJRNAP) and add any remote journals (ADDRMTJRN command
or QjoAddRemoteJournal API).