     From: barsa@barsaconsulting.com
     Subject: Re: APYJRNCHG
     To: midrange-l@midrange.com
     Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:55:32 -0400

     Clearly you could use them together.

     Journaling was an availability enhancement that came out in Release 4.1 of
     CPF.  People that were interested in highly available systems went to it
     immediately.  SAVCHGOBJ was introduced in Release 5.0 of CPF, and it was
     assumed that anybody that would be using it would first be using
     journaling.  (So the default for OBJJRN was set to *NO.)

     SAVCHGOBJ was always very slow, because every internal object was
     interrogated at the object detail level to determine if it should be saved,
     hence you would want to be journaling as the first line of defense.

     Since then, two things have happened.

     1).  Tapes have gotten dramatically faster.
     2).  An internal object changed bit was added in V2R1M0 of OS/400, which
     made SAVCHGOBJ run much faster.

     Today, most people only journal because of the following needs:

     1).  Use of a HA product like MIMIX.
     2).  The desire for commitment control, which is a good thing, and not
     enough people program for it.
     3).  The use of selected rules of referential integrity.

     If this answers your question that's great, or else give a call.

     Al

     Al Barsa, Jr.
     Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

     400>390