The VPN is what I would insist on to maintain a relatively private network. The
XPRS2 needs a software option for VPN plus a per PC license. I hadn't though
about the Tele2 although we had talked about him getting ADSL as well.

I've been told by a couple of the big gorillas in networking that at least in
Iowa if an ISP puts their base equipment (I think they called it a DSLAN) in the
telco's central office they have to let them in the DSL game. As always there
are ways to block or delay into old age death anything.

I'll look closer at the firewall to firewall options.

BTW, mind if I steal you disclaimer tag line?

Roger Vicker, CCP

"Sims, Ken" wrote:

> Hi Roger -
>
> >That pretty much describes the planned setup except
> >that it hopefully will be an outbound only setup. The
> >CFO might change that. He wants to be at home and able
> >to  open a 600Mb spreadsheet from the network with his
> >333Mhz 64Mb PC.
>
> In this case you will want VPN.  Then from home he can log into the network
> just like he was local.  The XPRS2 can handle incoming VPN.  I don't recall
> if it comes with that capability by default or if it is an add-on (it varies
> for the different SonicWALL models).  Your CFO could either have the
> SonicWALL client on his PC, or if he has DSL or cable modem he could use a
> SonicWALL TELE2 which would establish a firewall-firewall VPN connection.  I
> don't know a lot about the SonicWALL VPN capabilities as I use a Nortel
> client on my PC at home to connect to whatever the VPN server is at
> corporate HQ.  I do know that my SonicWALL SOHO2 will pass the VPN
> connection through *without* needing the VPN option installed.
>
> >The real fun may come next year when we hope to use the Iseries
> >with Domino for mail server. This system will be on the other side
> >of a frame relay/routers in the WAN/intranet. If the planned
> >resources for that time don't measure up I am sure I'll be back.
>
> You would probably want to put this system in the DMZ, which would require a
> second WAN IP address.
>
> >The local telco was purchased a couple of years ago by a company
> >that was formed from several mom and pop exchanges and their
> >network/ISP company.  The advertise as being a local/rural friendly
> >company bring high speed internet to the rural areas. However...they
> >are now a very large company overnight. Thus they are insisting that
> >to get ADSL you have to use their included ISP.
>
> Hmmm.  I know that the gubbermint requires telcos to provide "equal access"
> to any long-distance providers that want to connect to their equipment, but
> I don't know what the rules are for DSL.  But even if they are required to
> provide "equal access", if they are deserving of Fiona's sister's "Does not
> play well with others" cap, other ISPs may not want the hassle.
>
> Ken
> Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
> Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
> my employer or anyone in their right mind.

*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com
***
Two terms for congressmen:  One in office, one in jail.