Andy & Philipp, I put responses inline.

>From Andy:
>
> I have frequently assigned multiple hosts with separate IP addresses in
> the same subnet.  In a partitioned Domino server (a Domino installation
> with multiple servers on the same hardware platform) it is standard
> practice to assign a unique IP address to each server.  Because each
> server would be listening (and talking to) specific addresses/ports,
> then the source address within Domino traffic would be set to the
> assigned address.

This is what I'm doing, except I don't have Domino.  I have 6 http servers
running, each with their own IP, plus the ip address for the as/400.  So
that's 7 IP's in 10.1.0.0 network defined on the as/400's NIC.

> If you were to ping an address on that subnet from the AS/400, which IP
> address would be used as the source of the ping request?  I think that
> is Phil's question.

We have a vendor with which we have a frame relay connection.  They are
expecting traffic from 10.1.1.3 (the as/400) but began receiving traffic
from 10.1.1.10 (an http server address on the same NIC card) so they denied
it.

> IP will perform outbound load balancing using the DUPRTEPTY parameter on
> your routing entries, this would allow a particular route to be
> preferentially used, but would have no effect on traffic to local
> clients.

Would this be useful to me?  Sounds like it might.

from Philipp:

>You cannot assign two addresses of the same net to a single interface, so
this
>question does not lead to a "problem" for me at all.

from Andy:
> I think the short answer is no, there is no way to specifically control
> which address would be used as a source for outbound local traffic when
> a request is initiated on the AS/400 and multiple IP addresses are in
> the same subnet.

Are you saying that if I put the http servers on a different subnet,
10.2.0.0 for example, that the OS will not be able to report the wrong IP
address since there would be only one defined on the NIC in the 10.1.0.0
network?

Phil