Doug:
        I believe most of the functions were used in a device called the
"transition data link", device, which enabled you to transfer the entire
S/36 to a configured M36 on the /400.
        Largere outfits, with a lot of 36s, bought one, and used it themselves,
otherwise, theu used it thru a third party support arrangement.
        It would be interesting to know, just how widely used this process
still is, or (dare I ask), how many older model s/36 boxes are still out
there.
        If I am correct, the s/36 was a very popular, and widely used business
os, right into the 90's.
Shields