> I have had a strange(?) request from a user who "... would like to connect a
>  PC to an AS/400 model 9401 via a Twinax connection".  It sounds to me like
>  someone is trying to avoid paying for a proper job.
>
>  I don't suppose anyone has come across such a connection?  My initial
>  thought is that a twinax adaptor for the PC and some simple 5250 eml
>  software might be possible.  "Why?" is another matter.

PC connections via twinax used to be a standard for a long long time.
Hundreds of different companies sold what was called PC emulation, meaning
the PC emulated being a twinax device.
For something like US $200.00 you get this card into the back of the PC which
connects it to twinax.

The advantages are that the technology is extremely reliable, provided you
understand how to work cable through & know what kind of connectors to use.

The disadvantages are that the PC is connected to twinax so that the PC user
can get at AS 400 stuff, not to any larger LAN or internet from a PC users
perspective, which can be a good thing from perspective of management who
wants users economically doing their 400 work.

These companies existance is a bit volatile, with various outfits going
bankrupt, being bought out by other competitors, whose tech support for the
folks they took over being a bit weak, and they all use different standards,
so if you buy emulation connections from different suppliers you soon find
that there is a serious incompatibily problem when user-A asks user-B "how do
you do that?"

Also, the emulation software eats some of the PC memory, not as well managed
as CA, so you have to have to give the PC more gas to handle the connection
effectively.

Obviously if a company has connected many PCs to the 400 by one particular
standard, IS should discourage a break down of the corporate standards, since
growing complexity of what needs to be managed can lead to an increase in IS
support costs with zero compensating benefits to the corporate bottom line.

"Why" someone might want this can be quite simple.
If the nature of an end user job function is such that a twinax device will
work for them, then a company can have them do their job using a device that
costs $500.00 & can be expected to live for 10 years or more before it is
time to replace it, is ready for use right after they flip the power on,
requires training only in the application, has zero local management needed
compared to PC anti-virus, disk management, PC clean up, etc. while providing
the same user with a PC might cost $3,000.00 once you have factored in power
protection, security, and a wide range of other support that twinax not need.

However, in modern business world, many users need access to applications
that they can get from PC but not from what has been installed on 400.  If
the 400 is amply supplied with twinax services, such as e-mail & document
indexing, and if the nature of the PC user is either that they do not need
internet access, or that the company could care less about buying modem &
phone line for each individual user, instead of managing phone costs, then
twinax connection for PC is a viable alternative.

A user who is a new hire who had this at a former employer might not realize
that this is not neccessarily the most economical solution at their new
employer.