914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    Pat Barber

                    <mboceanside@worldne       To:
"MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com" <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    t.att.net>                 cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Computer Languages

                    midrange-l-admin@mid

                    range.com

                    08/15/01 10:37 AM

                    Please respond to

                    midrange-l

          THE PROGRAMMER'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE LANGUAGES

  The proliferation of modern programming languages (all of which seem
  to have stolen countless features from one another) sometimes makes
  it difficult to remember what language you're currently using. This
  handy reference is offered as a public service to help programmers who
  find themselves in such a dilemma.

                 TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.

  C: You shoot yourself in the foot.

> C++: You accidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and shoot
> them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical assistance is
> impossible since you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which
  are just pointing at others and saying, "That's me, over there."

> FORTRAN: You shoot yourself in each toe, iteratively, until you run
> out of toes, then you read in the next foot and repeat. If you run
  out of bullets, you continue with the attempts to shoot yourself
anyways
> because you have no exception-handling capability.
>
> ALGOL: You shoot yourself in the foot with a musket.  The musket is
> esthetically fascinating, and the wound baffles the adolescent medic
> in the emergency room.
>
> Pascal: The compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> Ada: After correctly packing your foot, you attempt to concurrently
> load the gun, pull the trigger, scream, and shoot yourself in the
> foot. However when you try, you discover you can't because your foot
> is of the wrong type.
>
> COBOL: Using a COLT 45 HANDGUN, AIM gun at LEG.FOOT, THEN place
> ARM.HAND.FINGER on HANDGUN.TRIGGER and SQUEEZE. THEN return HANDGUN
  to HOLSTER. CHECK whether shoelace needs to be re-tied.

> LISP: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds...
>
> SCHEME: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds ...
> but none of the other appendages are aware of this happening.
>
> FORTH: Foot in yourself shoot.
>
> Prolog: You tell your program that you want to be shot in the foot.
> The program figures out how to do it, but the syntax doesn't permit
  it to explain it to you.

> BASIC: Shoot yourself in the foot with a water pistol. On large
> systems, continue until entire lower body is waterlogged.
>
> Visual Basic: You'll really only _appear_ to have shot yourself in
  the foot, but you'll have had so much fun doing it that you won't
care.

> HyperTalk: Put the first bullet of gun into foot left of leg of you.
> Answer the result.
>
> Motif: You spend days writing a UIL description of your foot, the
> bullet, its trajectory, and the intricate scrollwork on the ivory
> handles of the gun. When you finally get around to pulling the
> trigger, the gun jams.
>
> APL: You hear a gunshot and there's a hole in your foot, but you
> don't remember enough linear algebra to understand what the hell
> happened.
>
> Unix:
> % ls
> foot.c foot.h foot.o toe.c toe.o
> % rm * .o
> rm:.o no such file or directory
> % ls
> %
>
> sh, csh, Perl, etc:

> You can't remember the syntax for anything, so you spend five hours
> reading man pages before giving up.  You then shoot the computer and
> switch to C.
>
> Concurrent Euclid: You shoot yourself in somebody else's foot.
>
> 370 JCL: You send your foot down to MIS in a box and include a
> 400-page document explaining exactly how you want it to be shot.
> Three years later, your foot comes back deep-fried.
>
> Paradox: Not only can you shoot yourself in the foot, your users can
> too.
>
> Access: You try to point the gun at your foot, but it shoots holes
  in all your Borland distribution diskettes instead.

> Revelation: You're sure you're going to be able to shoot yourself
> in the foot, just as soon as you figure out what all these nifty
> little bullet-thingies are for.
>
> Assembler: You try to shoot yourself in the foot, only to discover
  you must first invent the gun, the bullet, the trigger, and your foot.
> Then you crash the OS and overwrite the root disk.  The system
> administrator arrives and shoots you in the foot.  After a moment of
> contemplation, the administrator shoots himself in the foot and hops
> around the room rabidly shooting at everyone in sight.
>
> Modula2: After realizing that you can't actually accomplish anything
> in this language, you shoot yourself in the head.
>
> Smalltalk:
> You spend so much time playing with the graphics and windowing
  system that your boss shoots you in the foot, takes away your
workstation,
> and makes you develop in COBOL on a character terminal.
>
> PL/I: You consume all available system resources, including all the
> offline bullets.  The DataProcessing&Payroll Department doubles its
> size, triples its budget, acquires four new mainframes, and drops
  the original one on your foot.

> SNOBOL: You grab your foot with your hand, then rewrite your hand to
> be a bullet.  The act of shooting the original foot then changes
  your hand/bullet into yet another foot (a left foot).

> Java: You import the entire gun encyclopedia class, the entire
  mankind class and the definition of all bullets ever made.
  When you finally figure out which combination you want to use,
  the bullet moves so slow that your foot rots and falls off by itself.