It's nice to hear that I have the fundamentals down anyway!

As for ODBC; yes I understand that we can turn the functions into stored
procedures.  That's the great thing about the 400 - the same *PGM can be
CALLed from a command line or turned into a stored procedure via CREATE
PROCEDURE.  Why didn't we go that route from the get-go?  Mostly a desire to
keep things at a simple enough level to sell to my management and to the
management of the outside vendor.  I certainly won't rule out going that
route as another means of access.

Why not XML?  Aside from the sheer terror of having to deal with yet another
new thing on a short schedule? <grin>  I haven't done enough XML work to be
able to PROMISE delivery of the completed API on time.  My fault for not
keeping up, I suppose.  With several suggestions to go that way, I can see
that I had better start on an XML version.  Fortunately, that won't prove
terribly difficult, because I have a single function to wrap and unwrap the
data.  I need to visit XMLRPC.COM.  Thanks for the link Don!

MQ series is an expense we didn't want to impose on our end-users (we're a
software house.)  We wanted low/no end-user license fees.

I deeply appreciate the comments, and will definitely be looking to expand
my repertoire.  I'm actually looking forward to the vendor requesting
changes.  I think I might be in front of the curve for once!  Woo Hoo!

Buck