Hello,

well, there _is_ a big difference between a well planned migration/upgrade
and a disaster recovery. In about
12 years of AS400 we have gone through several (B60-D60-320-620-820)
hardware upgrades (not even mentioning
release updates). So we have learned how to plan such an upgrade - but we
still always had problems during these
upgrades (Murphy at his best). Failing 3590 in the middle of the upgrade or
a faulty console cable..

Anyhow, you also have to consider resources. Had our disaster happened 3
weeks ago, we would have had a real
problem, as 3 of 5 AS400 people had been on vacation.

We run several application packages (finance, production and distribution).
We do seperate backups by application,
so we can run night-processing on app A while saving data from app B (but
all backups go to the same tape).
We did a complete restore in tape sequence.

But we now plan to restore by application (i.e. first completely restore
distribution- that's most important). I guess we
could have been a day faster for only restoring distribution (which is our
bread-and-butter business).
But this needs careful planning as it is a lot more complicated than doing a
simple SAVE 21.

Regards,

Oliver