  • Subject: RE: install DASD a C.E.-only job?
  • From: "Shea, David" <DShea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:57:00 -0400

Dan:

About a year ago I purchased a 9337-480 with a 6501 card off of Ebay for
about $500.  It's got 8 4GB drives, Raid 5 net 28GB or so.  Surprisingly, it
plugged in to my old E45 and fired up just fine.  I bought it because the
rack has two drawers of IPL 9337 clone drives that are VERY trouble prone.
For $500 it was worth replacing the disks.

From your comments, I'd say that EMC array ain't worth the trouble or risk.
But maybe it's worth buying some 9337 at these prices and get them blessed
by your hardware service provider.

I know what you're thinking - what the heck are you doing with an E45?
Sentimental reasons.  My first big box.  Started as a B40.  Soldered my own
Twinax cables...  just hate to see it go.  I don't turn it on too often -
just once a month or so to make sure it still works.

Go... FASTER!  Without an upgrade!  With ARCTOOLS/400(tm)
http://www.arctools.com
info@arctools.com
DCSoftware, Inc.
Ph: (508) 435-8243