  • Subject: Re: exit pgm and lpar
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:28:16 -0500

Yes, you can only have one exit point per command.  Try this testing
methodology.  Sorry.
CRTDUPOBJ OBJ(IBMCMD) FROMLIB(QSYS) OBJTYPE(*CMD) TOLIB(MYLIB)
NEWOBJ(MYCMD)
Register this new command.
Make sure MYLIB is in your library list.  You cannot prompt mylib/mycmd and
get this to work - see other emails.
This is how we tested.  Sorry about not being more detailed previously.

We are strongly looking at it to change compile defaults.

The sbmjob would better served by the use of a plethora of job
descriptions.  But, you can tailor the exit point program to say, if this
SBMJOB is being submitted by FRED, and the program in the call stack
submitting this begins with OE, then I'll assume that this is an order
entry submission and I'll tailor the command this way.  The only limit is
your imagination.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Steve Richter"

                    <srichter@AutoCoder        To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    .com>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: exit pgm and
lpar
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    08/06/2001 09:04 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

>You test the chgcmd api the same way we did.  Start the debugger, set the
>break points, prompt the command.  Granted we put a separate copy of the
>command in a different library to check.
>
>Rob Berendt

Rob,

I am on v4r4 so I cant test my assumptions.
Reading the documentation on chgc0100 exit point, you can only have one
exit
point per cmd.
And the exit pgm is qualified by library, so the system will always call a
qualified pgm for the cmd. ( for security reasons, it better <g> )
So if you want to test chgs to your exit pgm, you have to disengage your
production exit point, chg the exit point to point to your new version,

My comments on exit pgms and my question on lpar have to do with thinking
of
how you can keep applications separate from ( protected from ) each other
on
the as400. Lpar can work for this purpose,  but I suspect it could lead to
duplication of objects, which can be a maintenance nightmare.

Consider an order entry system programmer wanting to use the chgc0100 exit
point to customize the sbmjob cmd. If such an exit pgm is registered, all
the sbmjob cmds run on the system will run thru the exit pgm of the order
entry system. Because of this implication, the exit pgm option will not be
used.

I appreciate ibm providing the feature. I just think that in the real
world,
it will not be used very much. In fact, I am hard pressed to think of any
scenario were it will be used.

Steve Richter

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com