  • Subject: Re: AS/400 Access via the Internet
  • From: Chuck Morehead <cbmorehead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 06:22:10 -0500

Chuck,

Can you describe the physical connection for me?  I.e. how does your AS/400
communicate with the Internet?  Is it directly connected to your ISP via a
comm card?

A simple VPN can work as follows:
A VPN/Firewall appliance is placed between your router to the Internet and
the rest of your network.  This requires that you have two static IP's, one
for the router and one for the VPN appliance.

PC's that have Internet access are loaded with a VPN software that will
communiate with the VPN/Firewall appliance.  You configure the software with
secret "keys" as well as the IP address of the VPN appliance.

The PC's can then contact the VPN appliance accross the Internet.  If
authenticated, the PC is granted access to the network.  At authentication
encryption keys are generated and the data moving accross the Internet
(including passwords and sensitive company info) is all encrypted.

If you want to take a look at some VPN appliances you might check out
http://www.sonicwall.com/.  They seem to have a decent small business
solution (SOHO2).

A diagram might look something like this.  (I apologize for my lack of
artistic talent...)

PC w/VPN sftwre.....\
PC w/VPN sftwre...---(Internet)---...-Router-VPN "box"-Switch/Hub---...The
rest of your network.
PC w/VPN sftwre...../

Chuck