  • Subject: Re: Native e-400 mail
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:04:56 EDT

Thanks to lots of posts answering my MIDRANGE-L question
We've obviously got our research & reading cut out for us.

I have been passing all your replies on to my PC guru
plus I have been trying some of this stuff myself
WRKDIRE now has a bunch more entries by me

I did get PING to work from command line so this confirms what Jason says
about having NT & 400 ready to talk to each other

We tried to follow the simple instructions
which led to error messages
which led to trying to figure out other stuff
which led to more hassles
and we still not got this to work & not know why

for example there is some reference to a rename that ended in error, or may
have & I have no idea what this refers to, let alone finding it.  I have been
killing 100 job logs every nite after the backup - when I study any of them
they invariably have ending code 0 so some day I need to study *JOBD & try to
cut down on their creation.

Jason & I are a pair
We each can figure out pieces of the puzzle

He gets some 400 syntax error message he not understand
I figure it out but that gets me to some TCP/IP reference I not understand
He knows what that means, and we get a bit further

So we've got more studying to do

Thanks also for the SST profile thread ... looks like DST has a whole other
dimension than its e-mail capability.  I also need a Glossary of what all
this alphabet soup means.

Thanks Carl Galgano
I may do that

We tend to alternate between what is deemed too much of a hassle & thus we
should buy a product to manage it really user-friendly & scenarios where some
senior manager figures out how to work something & does not see why we should
go a more expensive route on this for other people.

For example, it takes a certain amount of user training to be able to manage
reports that can go to multiple printers, or to have multiple users in one
office sharing a central printer.  It is obviously simpler to give everyone
their own printer & not require any special training or networking.  The user
not need to get up from desk & go to central printer room & sort through
other people print-outs to find theirs.

I am also to inventory what computer equipment we have that is not networked,
that 400 knows about, that NT knows about & I asking about this on another
thread, but what amazes me is that we now have a printer in every executive
office that is sitting idle 99% of the time, it is like a standard with a PC
is to get that person a printer, when we are on several networks that have
network printers.  Years ago, trying to spend 1/20 of that $ on shop floor
printers to do production paperwork reprints was like pulling teeth from
management.

Thanks Scott Mildenberger and Justin C. Haase

I shared the BytWare stuff with my PC guy.
I really like where BytWare has Step Six test the connection from command
line, where I can then explore what can be done with SNDDST from a program.
But I have to get this much to work first.

Thanks Loyd Goodbar comments
I cannot see us having any kind of relevant audit
Most security that we have is because of efforts by Jason (our PC Guru) & me
(the BPCS/400 guy) to insist on stuff ... when we did our Y2K re-engineering
& security came up, the project team wanted none at all, and it was a mighty
struggle for me to get management to agree to some.  I am surprised we have
had so few problems so far on the security side.  The worst was probably when
someone gave the union the payroll files on the top executives & that was not
a computer security problem but a people problem.

I had visited AS/400 Network Article archives on e-mail & passed some along
to my PC guy - it is evident that there are a lot of different approaches
possible.

Thanks Chuck Morehead for doing some of this AS/400 Network navigation
research for me ... I had seen the SndMail article but not taken it very
seriously because with me on Twinax & our PC expert on NT, cut/paste internet
resources into 400 source code is a skill we have not yet aquired.  Perhaps
this experiment will get us there.

Thanks Phil for a whole lot other set of ideas to explore.

I did see on News/400 article 2673 where ChkMail needs C/400 compiler.
I pretty sure we not have that loaded to our 400 ... just the languages we
using.
So I may need to research if we can just load C from OS CD or if we need to
pay IBM some bucks to use it, and what it does to our disk space.

Thanks William Corbett
You said what needs to be done via SMTP Gateway
The BytWare URL said how to do it
http://www.bytware.com/Support/MPlus/egateway.html

Thanks Chris Beck for an example of doing this.
In our case we would monitor QSYSMSG because we load down QSYSOPR with a lot
of other stuff ... example yesterday
User-X "Al, I just ran a Lawrenceville Schedule then accidentally deleted it
off my spool file ... what's the best way to get that back?"
Al scrolled on QSYSOPR & said "Diane ran one 2 hours ago ... I can go to her
spool & reprint a copy for you ... No, she has deleted all her reports ...
Here, Kevin ran one yesterday morning, and it is still there, I am reprinting
it for you."
User-X "No Good, too many changes since Yesterday morning"
So we reran the report (it is a popular report that takes a while to
generate, which is why the question comes up).

Thanks Pat Barber
My PC Guru did find a Redbook when he ran a Google search
I will had him check your URL to see if it is the same one or if there is
more than one Redbook on this, just in case one more useful to us than
another.

I been giving Jason articles from AS400Network & also back issues News/400
articles that seem on track & mentioning to him that if he encounters any
references to options & alternative approaches ... According to the articles
i recently skimmed over, AS/400 supports SMTP POP3 MIME & there is e-mail
stuff that is compatible with Lotus Notes & Websphere & CA & other packages
but some of them might only be available through those packages, while Net
Ware & OV are as dead as M/36.

He asked if the e-mail portion of OV might still be alive, because it looked
like the only integrated e-mail/400 system that came free with OS/400.
I said I doubt it, but will look into arvhives of past discussions with
people who know about OV/400

Thanks Ian Scotson & Patrick Townsend
I visited the Bvs/Tool site & will be recommending it to my PC guy next week
From there I linked to www.net400.com then from there to Microsoft Hell
(Basically I assign a different password to each internet place that needs
one, and I have an ALgorithm how to keep them all straight in my mind, but I
suspect MS rules are sufficiently anti-security that Listbot now wants one
password for all places, so I was unable to sign up for net400 list)
Did Y"all know that Microsoft bought out ListBot & this month it stops being
free?
This net400 place might answer Jason's questions about OV/400
I was looking for the white papers that BVS/Tools alluded to.