  • Subject: Re: QPFRADJ/BPCS - more info
  • From: thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 2 Aug 2001 18:55:13 -0700

Samantha:

(Personal opinion only...)

I don't think much can be said for certain from what you supplied beyond that
somebody has put some work into creating a tunable environment. No way to know
whether it's appropriate though.

You show QCTL, QSYSWRK, RBTSLEEPER and SYSCHECKER all exclusively into *BASE.
I'd leave QCTL alone unless you have reason to run significant jobs there, but
that looks unlikely. I'd add at least one additional pool to QSYSWRK, possibly
*SHRPOOL3 which you don't seem to be using, and run CHGRTGE against the QSYSWRK
routing entries so those jobs route to the new subsystem pool 2; and I'd do the
same to the QSYSWRK prestart job entries with CHGPJE.

As for RBTSLEEPER and SYSCHECKER, those might not be significant enough to
worry over in your environment, but you can keep in mind that these could also
be moved out of *BASE.

For remaining subsystems such as BATCHCATSP and QBATCH where *BASE is assigned
as subsystem pool 1 and a substem pool 2 is assigned, I'd verify that routing
points to subsystem pool 2 just like for QSYSWRK.

Beyond that, you have three user subsystems using the same *SHRPOOL2 as QCMN,
QSERVER and QSNADS (though there's no way to tell if work routes there or to
*BASE instead). So, for BPCSCS, HERMIT and ORDERPOST, I'd find out if I wanted
those in the same shared pool and adjust settings accordingly.

Finally, I don't see a QUSRWRK subsystem, so you're either running pre-V4R4 or
you don't start it during startup time. If you have it, I suggest you configure
it appropriately, similar to QSYSWRK, and start it according to IBM
recommendations for V4R4 startup.

Others might see a lot more, but that's all I get from what you supplied. Even
then, I might've missed seeing things. The numbers for *INTERACT, *SPOOL, etc.,
are suspect. Perfect round numbers almost guarantee that resources are wasted
somewhere and possibly causing starvation elsewhere. I'd be totally willing to
try performance adjuster on a system like yours. I might even consider
replacing one or more of those private pools you have with additional shared
pools; this would be especially true if I wasn't expecting to use the private
pool to hold objects in memory with SETOBJACC for example and I knew how much
memory I'd be using.

You certainly have a complex enough environment that performance tuning _CAN_
make a difference. It's your choice (or your boss') whether you get to do it or
not.

Happy tuning...

Tom Liotta

--