  • Subject: Re: AS/400
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:57:05 -0400

Rob,

That was a common trick with card machines.  I believe the 2560 card
readers (S/360 Mod 20 I worked on back in early 70's - and possible even
the 5424 card readers on the S/3) had a hidden switch under the covers
that doubled their speed (and greatly increased the cost and monthly
maintenance charge).  Once you "found" this switch you could flip it and
run the thing at the higher speed.  If you needed maintenance, or if the
CE was due for Preventive Maintenance (remember that !  ;-)  ) you would
flip the switch back.  When he left, you'd change it back again.

Someone told me an early Burroughs computer  (1800 ???) had a switch you
could flip to make it run faster too.

...Neil

Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@erros.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com