I for one think that the AS/400 (ISeries) is the best machine for the
price. When your company tries to move to a new platform sure an individual
NT server is cheaper.  However when you start adding in the cost of
failover boxes (server farms), a database system, and all of the extra
support staff you come pretty close to even but you still don't have a
system that is as reliable or flexible as the AS/400.

(**** Ramble ****)

If you look at the news today you will see the M$ guys teamed up with the
FBI in the fight to stop the Code Red worm.  On the face of it it looks
like M$ is is being a good net citizen  by helping stop the threat of
viruses,  but if you look deeper you realize that these guys are a main
part of the problem.  If they built good SECURE software we would not be
inundated with these problems.  Does a company that  builds systems so
haphazardly really have your vote to be a mission critical supplier.  Let
us not for get that M$ built windoze for ,as some one put it earlier, for a
toy computer.  Microsoft has not had its feet held to the fire to build
quality systems, because until recently we all just did our reboots on our
personal pc when the machine hosed and went about our business.  If we have
to rely on M$ for our business we can't take a reboot the machine approach.

My father (not a technical person.  Plant manager for a plastics company)
and I were talking a few months back and I asked him what type of computers
they used at work he basically told me me it was some peice of crapola
called the as/400 and he was trying to  convince management to move to NT.
After talking with him a little longer I discovered he was complaing that
the system was down all of the time.  His 400 is in California he works in
Houston, tx what he was really complaining about was his connection to the
400.  With people like my pop complaing about the 400 how does an MIS staff
stand a chance with management when it comes time to evaluate the 400....