  • Subject: RE: AS/400
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:29:46 -0500

The PC is a bad analogy.  How often do you hear people talking about:  RAM,
cache memory, video ram, etc?  But then again, this may be a good analogy,
depending on which point you are trying to make.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Goodbar, Loyd

                    (AFS-Water Valley)"        To:
"'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'" <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    <LGoodbar@afs.bwaut        cc:

                    o.com>                     Subject:     RE: AS/400

                    Sent by:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    07/30/2001 11:13 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

These are some interesting points. Let's go back to the car analogy real
quick. My Honda Accord has cruise control. Its speedometer maxes at 140,
but
my cruise control doesn't work past 85.

Or another example. The speedometer in (some car) reads 180, but the
manufacturer put a limiter chip so I can get only 5000 RPM in 5th gear
instead of the full 8500 RPM in 5th gear, so my maximum effective speed is
150 MPH. In other gears I can approach 8500 RPM without problem.

Let's say the speedometer is the full potential of the AS/400,
processing-wise (MHz, max CPU, what have you). My cruise control and rev
limiter are the CFINT interactive governor.

My point is that the AS/400 typically has far more processing capability
than customers get to use. When I buy a PC (and I know the AS/400 is not a
PC), there are no real limitations on how I use the processing capability.
When I buy a car, there is little in the engine preventing me from driving
120 + MPH. The CFINT is an artificial restriction on the amount of
processing power available to traditional interactive applications. On one
hand, I agree with you, I paid for X interactive CPW, but when the chip has
X*3 total CPW, why the "interactive CPW" restriction?

Here's the question for what I don't understand. What exactly does 1 CPW
represent? If I have a constant number of users, why do I need to upgrade
my
AS/400? Does it mean my applications are more complex, and a process that
took 1 CPW a few years ago now takes 3? Or does a single signon get a fixed
CPW? How does the AS/400 determine how much "work" an interactive process
uses?

Loyd