  • Subject: Re: IBM getting rid of RPG
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:28:37 -0500

Steve,

Granted some things will be done in interactive, however not everything
that is currently done in interactive needs to be there.

I think what Joe is saying is that if you key an inventory transaction and
it has to update 5 files and calculate new balances and zap off an email to
someone that we just reached a negative balance, and , and , and.  Then
perhaps you would be better served to break this up.  The presentation part
will do the screen entry.  This sends the process off to a data queue or
something to do the rest of the process.  Now if you've done this right,
and some snot nosed kid comes along and wants the presentation done in web
or NT client than you already have the back end processing done.  And you
get to keep your back end in RPG, if you desire.  Which is where any biased
RPG programmer will tell you that the only competent business programming
can be coded.

Have you ever written a batch process before?  Yes, on occasion an error
will occur.  But you've handled this right?  There must be a zillion
techniques.  No difference in this process.  The beauty of it is that the
user won't be guessing as to what option to take.  Your message monitoring
will notify someone better able to handle the situation.

Some people really may wish to study alternative methods of presentation
than DDS.  For example the hoops that I had to jump through to maintain a
variable length field for comments which may exceed a screen size, was
enough to vomit.  This versus 1 single line of html.

Also, some of the commands you mentioned:  WRKSPLF, WRKWTR, and more,
WRKSYSACT, etc are probably better served in Operations Navigator.  Think
of all the stuff IBM is giving you for free!  Stuff that they charge you
for in 5250 land.  For example WRKSYSACT requires that you purchase
Performance Tools.  The functions of this are given free with Operations
Navigator.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    "Steve Richter"

                    <srichter@AutoCoder        To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    .com>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: IBM getting rid
of RPG
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    07/28/2001 01:32 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Joe,

What do you do about

     cmd prompting

    any ibm cmd like WrkSplf, WrkSbmJob, esp WrkOutq and WrkWtr

    Receiving a break message

    Exception handling - rpg or cl pgm hits an unmonitored exception msg.
The ibm default exception handler takes over and wants to prompt for
Cancel,
dump or ignore

I like your concept, but in practice these situations have to be dealt
with,
No?

Steve Richter