  • Subject: Re: Midrange Computing Closed
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:39:41 EDT

> You may be referring to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification
>  (WARN) Act, which you can read at
>  <http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ETA/Title_20/Part_639/toc.htm>. BTW, it's
>  federal, not state, law.
>
>    ... Chuck

There are federal laws and there are state laws and in some large cities
there are local laws, that apply to the same kind of stuff.

We recently closed a facility in another state & our management researched
the topic in advance, and fully complied with both sets of laws, and also
made effort to help find new work opportunities for SOME of the work force
that was being let go.

Once management decides to close some place, they do it in short order.

Some co-workers in their mid 60's & 70's who were working like 1-2 days a
week & had been with us for like 40 years ... the company offered them what
the company thought was a generous retirement benefit package ... but it was
goodbye & you can have this, take it or leave it.

And all of this was "at will" reality, so the company was not obligated to
offer the 40 year veterans anything.  But doing so is great for the morale of
the people who still working there, like me.