  • Subject: Kill RPG, the AS/400 lives on (was Re: Midrange Computing is liquidating.)
  • From: Loyd Goodbar <lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:35:16 -0500

This buys into the assumption that everyone who uses RPG is tied to green
screen apps.

Once you move into the client/server/N-tier architecture, this cannot be true.
Even today, with Joe Pluta's RPG revitalization, IBM's free CGIDEV2 library,
Brad Stone's e-RPG, data queues, and sockets, you now take RPG into the server
arena.

Here, you can't kill RPG just because it "happens" to run the vast majority of
green screen apps. As a matter of fact, you cannot penalize RPG whatsoever, as
long as you stay away from display files (this is where the CPFINT governor
kicks in, I believe - what were the results of that hypothesis?). Every
program needs to open, read, and write files. If the governor doesn't affect
data queues or socket connections, you should be safe using RPG for server
apps.

A solution would be to use a combination of e-RPG/CGIDEV2 for back-end
processing, and Joe's Java servlet revitalization to move to the N-tier
architecture. If done right, you could seamlessly migrate from green screen to
browser/java based without changing the application. (Side note: can an RPG
program make a CGI request without going through the browser, I am thinking
about a socket connection. It would need to "emulate" a HTTP connection, I
suppose. I know nothing about how to do it, just thinking out loud.)

I don't believe the linking of green screen apps and RPG is the right answer.
You might as well say the same thing about cobol, or even C when using
standard in/output. This is perception, not reality.

I don't know to classify this as a rant, observation, or even a real idea. I
just can't believe that killing RPG will make the AS/400 stronger, in light of
the above.

Loyd

--
"The killer doesn't see the world like everyone else."
"How does he see it?" "Differently." --Millennium