  • Subject: Re: 5219/3812 *M36/iSeries outq issue
  • From: "Paul Tykodi" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:08:15 -0400

Dear Jerry,

The following information is from IBM Manual SC41-4730-00 "OS/400 System 36
Environment Programming V3R6" (which is the latest version of the book that
I could locate in the V4R5 online bookshelf).

<begin IBM Info>

4.4.2 Printed Output Attributes

The attributes of printed output are determined by merging the following
information in the specified order:

Application-program-specified information
Printer OCL statement information
Printer information defined by the System/36 environment configuration in
the CHGS36 CL command
Print file
Printer information defined by the LINES, PRINT, SET procedures, or FORMS
OCL statement

For example, if you specify forms 0001 on the printer OCL statement, forms
0002 for the PRINT procedure, and forms 0003 for the print file, the forms
specified on the printer OCL statement (forms 0001) are used.

<end IBM Info>

The supported maximum carriage width for the printers that you are emulating
with your software is 13.2 inches. This is how the OS/400 system values for
maximum print position (132 columns at 10 characters per inch and 198
columns at 15 characters per inch) were originally calculated. If you have a
report that specifies more than 132 columns for its maximum print position,
the characters per inch value needs to be changed to a value that includes
more characters to the inch than 10 in order to be printable on a standard
system attached printer. If this doesn't occur, the spool file can still be
created but the messages you included in your original post will be
displayed when you try to print the file (i.e. width of file is greater than
13.2 inches so it can't be printed on the target printer, do you want
truncation or wrap?).

As Tom mentioned in his post, the printer file servicing spool files that
are passed to OS/400 from the *M36 environment will always have its default
values overwritten by the settings in the application program within the
*M36 environment. Thus changing the CPI value in the appropriate OS/400
printer file would probably have no effect on your problem.

Since you mentioned the *M36 application is using a forms statement, maybe
the information from the IBM manual about which forms statement will be
honored when multiple forms statements are used in the creation of a spool
file might be useful.

Good Luck!

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Director of Technical Services

p: 603.431.0606 x115
f: 603.436.6432
paul@intermate-us.com
www.intermate.com

>Date: 24 Jul 2001 18:02:20 -0700
>From: thomas@inorbit.com
>Subject: Re: 5219/3812 *M36/iSeries outq issue
>
>Jerome:
>
>After seeing this, I went back and re-read the thread and saw your mention
of QPSPLPRT in >another post. Sorry I missed that.

>However, whether you changed the printer files or not might be irrelevant.
When the       >spooled output is sitting on an *outq, what does WRKSPLFA
show for Record length, Page    >size, etc? That is, even though you changed
the printer file object, the application can  >override what you specified.