  • Subject: RE: Sircam Virus and AS/400
  • From: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:07:17 -0400

Jim,

I understand that completely. I'm pointing it out more for those that
believe "because I use my as/400 for e-mail I'm impervious to viruses." I've
actually heard people say "You use Exchange? Don't you get viruses? We use
the native SMTP server in OS/400, we can't get them." Exchange and OS/400's
SMTP are just the transports, they'll move whatever you ask them to move.

Anyone using their AS/400 as their mail server should be running an
anti-virus SMTP gateway between it and the real world. Actually, that's not
just advice for the AS/400 world, _ANYONE_ running a mail server should be
running anti-virus software, it's just that the only anti-virus options
AS/400 people have are SMTP gateway options. I've not seen any anti-virus
software for the as/400 smtp server yet.

-Walden