  • Subject: RE: Interesting subfile "feature"
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:54:37 -0500

I respectfully disagree with your position, and your analogy.  I believe
that the input specifications should not include output-only fields; they
are in effect a "logical view" over the display file including only fields
of usage I, B or H, not those of type O.  This is how non-subfile records
work.  Subfile records work differently.

The same program has a non-subfile record with two output-only fields and
one field defined as type both.  Only the input-capable field shows up in
the input specification.  This is how I expect it to work.  The subfile is
an anomaly.  I don't like anomalies <grin>.

Regardless of conjecture, the fact of the matter is that the subfile records
DO act differently than non-subfile records.  SInce my revitalization
product emulates a display file, I needed to understand the difference.  I
just thoguht I would share it.

Joe