Samantha:

<disclaimer>
Everything in here is pure personal opinion from personal experience. I have no
education background in this area other years of reading manuals, articles and
just plain trying stuff. IBM might have far better answers.
</disclaimer>

No way to know if it'll help in **YOUR** system. If you look through your
subsystems and find that you have any tasks running in *BASE (possibly with the
exception of the subsystem monitors) rather than in private or shared pools or
if you really have no memory to shift anyway or many other possible factors,
then it might not help at all. I suppose in the worst cases, it could even make
things worse.

It often seems to me that IBM tends to ship configurations that are not well
suited for good performance. Just check how many of their default entries point
to *BASE, e.g., routing entries to support TCP/IP. And since they get income
from selling memory, that makes sense. To be fair, though, they cannot have a
good idea of what **YOUR** system needs at the time of delivery.

But people are commonly unwilling to change those entries to point to another
pool. Further, new custom entries often follow those default examples. So, the
memory in *BASE is constantly in use, so performance adjuster has no clean way
to shift memory around directly and QPFRADJ has minimal effect.

Quite a while back, I put together a memory pool configuration utility that
I've used with what seems to be decent success. It changes most *sbsds' pool
settings, changes any routing entries, changes prestart job entries, etc., to
settings that have worked for me. I run it on any new AS/400 I'm responsible
for and QPFRADJ=3 has seemed to give noticable improvement.

From this, I've believed QPFRADJ has significant value when it's used on
appropriately configured systems. (And it might work much better if I knew for
certain what "appropriately configured" really was.)

But, will QPFRADJ=3 work well for you? Maybe. Post your subsystem descriptions,
routing entries, pool definitions, etc., and let's see. (Toungue-in-cheek
comment but based on at least some unfortunate reality.) At the worst, you can
always set the value back.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta