This sort of thing is a software design issue ... you need to set things up
in advance to be able to track who is updating what.

Because part of my job is to be modifying software, I have developed some
tools, mainly Query/400 against *OUTFILE stuff to help me get a handle on
what are the programs that update what files & what are the programs that
call what programs.

Depending on how well you understand your application software you may be
able to narrow it down to a list of people who had the security access to the
programs that can update the file.

But this can be an exercise in futility.
I have found that the rate of end user error, and the rate of end user
selective memory about errors, is such that what the software design
infrastructure priorities need is rapid access to information about changes &
mechanisms to easily correct mistakes when they are discovered.

Do the programs that update files generate some kind of audit trail & what is
your policy for deleting or disposing of audit trails?  Ours includes not
deleting until at least after next backup so that we have clues there just in
case something goes wrong before the next backup.

In my case I get stuck with cleaning up the old spool files that no one
wants, and I am just too busy to do that every day, so there is lots of
evidence available to someone who understands the applications.

> We had an update happen to a file yesterday that we do not know who did it.
> Is there any audit trails with the AS400 that I can find out who did the
> change? The file is not journaled.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838