  • Subject: Re: RE my XP Windows got broke in a Hailstorm
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <javadisciple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:02:18 -0700

> > Your point being? Remember, your statement was that IBM didn't know how
> > valuable the desktop market was. They lost the fight for the desktop,
that
> > doesn't mean they suddenly quit thinking it was important! Instead they
> > focused efforts on technologies to reduce the influence that the
> > desktop has
> > on their other markets. Java is an example of one of those technologies.
>
> The desktop generates mindshare and brand recognition. An entire
generation
> is growing up with MS technologies, not IBM's.

Again my question, "Your point being?" After all, your statement was that
IBM didn't understand how valuable that market was. IBM has proven through
diligent efforts to compete in that market that they do fully understand how
valuable and important the desktop market is.

But, as you have pointed out "That battle was lost long ago." Did you think
that because they lost that market they suddenly forgot how important it
was? Or did you think that they should be continuing to pump money into that
lost battle?

I mean in addition to porting their software to alternate desktops like OS/2
and Linux.

> > I think IBM has demonstrated over and over that they completely
understand
> > the importance of the desktop market. But I also think they've
> > noticed that
> > they might not be going to win that desktop market and are thus
> > chasing what
> > profit centers they can.
>
> Yes, they're retreating to the data center's low volume, high margin
> environment. But the kids who will eventually replace us in that
environment
> will have developed a brand loyalty to someone else.
>
> Of course, this is looking too far into the future to show up on the next
> quarter's shareholder report, so it won't be Lou's problem when it
happens.

C'mon, John, what the heck are you talking about? I know you have noticed
that IBM's strategy has been to move to services so they can make money
regardless of what way the OS winds blow.

So, if they sink more money into the desktop battle, they are certainly
stupid because they are fighting the "lost long ago" fight. But if they
don't they are stupid because they "don't know how important that market
is."

Try to keep in mind the reality of the marketplace. Just because IBM doesn't
have a 50% market share of the desktop OS market doesn't mean they don't
recognize how important it is. When you see them doing stuff like embracing
Linux and moving it into both their server and desktop areas, I think that
is a good clue that they are trying to find a way to compete in a
marketplace which is very important to them. In some ways, it is just them
grasping at straws. In another respect, it does give some hope that
something will pan out.

> > > And they've done zip-nada-nothing for the Smartsuite since taking over
> > > Lotus.
> >
> > What should they do?
> >

> Hmm.. how about a fix pack? Dare I suggest an enhancement? Did you know
that
> the PIM (Organizer) doesn't even do email?

Wait a minute, aren't there new versions, fix packs, releases for both
Windows and OS/2? Let me go look at their web site...

Sure enough that's the way it looks. Now, setting aside that it looks like
they are doing just what you said they aren't, didn't you just write an
email in this thread that pointed out that the average user only uses about
20% of what Word can do? Now, I would agree that FastSite is not FrontPage
by a long shot. But I don't know if that is such a necessity. But maybe I'm
wrong.

By the way, I must be a really unusual case, I never use anything but my
emailer to email. I don't know why, probably just habit, so it wouldn't
bother me to not be able to email from my organize.

Actually, this little conversation inspired me to go out to eBay and order a
copy of the older version of SmartSuite (9.5 instead of 9.6) for $10. If I
like it, I'll go back to using it. Of course, under OS/2 it was my favorite.