  • Subject: Re: RE my XP Windows got broke in a Hailstorm
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <javadisciple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:16:56 -0700

> >     The desktop market, for the most part, is just a commodity, consumer
> > oriented market. But it isn't the whole nor the life blood of the
computer
> > industry. If that were true, there would not be any iSeries machines, or
> > Unix boxes anywhere.
>
> No, it's not the lifeblood, but I think its importance is gravely
> underestimated by IBM.

I am so shocked that you would even say that! Why is it you suppose IBM has
sunk billions into OS/2 and Lotus' applications suite? One of the statements
Judge Jackson made was to commend IBM for "holding out" against Microsoft.

IBM has dumped cash into the desktop arena, in the face of so many of their
customers saying, "Give it up!" I think you should rethink that statement.

> Business owners are human too, so they make errors in judgement all the
> time. In my own example, if the owner had been absolutely adamant about a
> pure Microsoft solution, I'd be faced with the choice of giving him what
he
> wants, or walking away from the project. Sometimes you can afford to turn
> bit of business away, but it's something that most IT people can't make a
> habit of. So you do the next best thing; you become an expert in the MS
> technologies, and you do the best you can with what you're expected to
work
> with.

Oh, I surely agree. If I am clear to a customer/friend about the fact that I
consider this a folly, I will still accept the contract if he insists. I'll
let him know whether or not I feel I am a good choice (or the best choice)
for the job, and I will do all I can to make it a success. And I have been
loudly and emphatically blamed for going in that direction and the problems
that followed. All part of the ride.

> John Taylor

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.