Oliver:

On Thu, 19 July 2001, oliver.wenzel@cibavision.novartis.com wrote:

> >Outqs do have some special authority options all their own.  If I recall
> >correctly,  WRKOUTQD outqname  and then press F13 to change them.  I've
> >never tried to do this to the job log outq, so I'm not sure if you could
> >essentially revoke authority to it so users would not see spooled files on
> >it w/o having the system generate errors when it tries to create job logs.
> >Perhaps someone else on the list has attempted this?
>
> Thats why I didn't want to fiddle with these settings.
>
> But the assistance level seems to be promising - I'll have our users check
> it out.

As long as your users cooperate, you can probably get along. It seems you were
only wanting to help users cut down on how much they see.

But stay aware that you can't prevent a user from seeing his/her own spoolfiles
(nor can you prevent a user with *SPLCTL special authority from seeing all
spoolfiles) unless you control what commands and menus can be accessed. You can
create your own menus, you can create your own commands and you can choose what
options are available on existing commands as long as you have a complete
menu-based authority scheme. Give no access to system menus and no command-line
access, and control is possible.

But any access outside of that menu system can open it all up. This could be
through an initial menu entry on a signon display, through SysRq displays,
through OpsNav, through lstsplf.exe from a PC's Client Access directory or
through numerous other possibilities.

If you ever need to go beyond helpful weeding out of spoolfile lists to truly
securing spoolfiles, be prepared to do some planning.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.