Well, I don't think such a split would be workable. While, as consumers, it
would be great to immediately have competing vendors for the industry
standard OS and applications and such.

But, it would not be best for Microsoft A or B. It would effectively double
the cost of maintaining/enhancing the OS and applications they produce and
would give immediate competition for those products. Both would need to
compete with the other on price (since features and performance would be
kind of similar for a while), so they would have to shave margins.

That would cost the stock an awful lot of money.

Plus, neither company would have any real incentive to work with an outside
OS or application provider.

I think that Judge Jackson was probably right in the first place when he
said three companies, one OS, one application, and the other Internet
products and services. But, the Justice Dept. felt that two companies would
be sufficient. I believe that meant OS and "Other stuff."

Honestly, I have to say that this seems like a workable solution. I agree
that it really doesn't cure any of the things that happened in the past
(i.e. Netscape might not be able to recover from what happened to them,
WordPerfect same), but it would open the market to competition and would
force Microsoft(s) to adopt a policy of competing on technical merit.

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
If you believe that the best technology wins the
marketplace, you haven't been paying attention.