  • Subject: RE: no Java in XP Windows
  • From: "John Taylor" <jtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:59:16 -0600

Ok, now you're talking about a lot more than simply breaking the company up.
You're talking about some specific court imposed restrictions on how they do
business; namely:

1) Bundling for marketing purposes.
2) Opening up the API.

The way I see it, neither of these measures is going to achieve their
intended goal.

For example, how does a court determine what constitutes an "application",
from an extension of an operating system? The TCP/IP stack itself was once
sold as a separate application for Windows. Does that mean that Windows
shouldn't have networking protocols built in? Even if we really stretch here
and assume that Windows is effectively frozen with it's current feature set
and everything new must be sold as a separate application, what's to stop
"MS Office Co." from doing the bundling instead of MS Windows Co.? Another
lawsuit?

Depending upon the API to solve the problem is equally fruitless; there are
too many technical tricks that can be played behind the public interface of
an API. Moreover, are we really naive enough to believe that MS Office Co.
won't get an advance copy of any new API, so that they're first to market
with support for each new version of Windows?

Your final point was that a separate applications company would have to look
at porting to alternate platforms, based on profitability. But why? Is the
court now running this new company? If Billy G. and gang own both companies,
then they're naturally going to make decisions based on what's best for the
entire empire, no matter how many different ways you carve it up.

In the end, all of this is rather academic anyway, since the current Bush
administration is already bought and paid for. Your chances of even slowing
down MS died with your last election.

John Taylor