  • Subject: RE: no Java in XP Windows
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:41:13 -0400

Joe, Brad

Good points.  Good questions...

I actually see this schism as an encouraging sign.  I see these forces in
play:

M$ vs Sun
M$ vs OSI
IBM subsidizing OSI

Java and Open Source exist primarily as a reaction against the MicroSoft
monopoly (which is an intellectual monopoly, whether or not it's a legal
one).

Java sure didn't gain prominence primarily because of it's technical merit.
And the Open Source Movement has gained it's prominence _in spite of the
fact_ it's a bankrupt approach.  (Only "fools" like RMS, ESR, and Linus
Torvalds would claim they hold the high moral ground; 2 of those "fools"
laugh all the way to the bank.)  Linux is poised to implode on it's own
success, IMHO.

Meanwhile, in the background of all this, you have OS/400 running on the
most power computer chip in the world, the Power4...

Leaves lots of room for "OS/4i" to grow into, if the iNation could get it's
act together and markets the thing properly...!

Offline for now, gotta rest that "nasty trigger finger" I'm becoming famous
for (no offense taken...;-)

Jt
Philippians 3:13  (http://www.gospelcom.net/woh/devotionals/woh.html)