  • Subject: Re: Where the HELL are the Books.
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:08:23 -0500

Mark,

Again, something from IGNITe/400 list from 6/19:

All,

We do make a difference.  Here is a reply I got from IBM's InfoCenter staff
when I reported (via the Infocenter feedback mechansim) a problem locating
the System API manual.  I got thousands of hits back and couldn't find the
manual itself.  I must give the User Technologies credit for trying very
hard to improve and get the InfoCenter in shape.  They are very good folks
and are focused on improving the facility.

Bob C.

As always, thank you for your interest in the Information Center.  The System API Programming manual is located in the Supplemental Manuals portion of the Information Center .  You can access the supplemental
manuals through the last link in the IC navigation bar or this direct link  [
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/rzaqhindex.htm ].

The manual is located under   Application development ... > Systems programming ... > API ... >
System API programming

If you were looking for the references for individual APIs, you can find that in the IC under  Programming > CL & APIs > APIs  or direct link [
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/info/apis/api.htm ]

Regarding the search results, I found the manual using "system api programming" as well as "api programming".  Notice that these queries bring up many different parts of the manuals.  We have recently added HTML
versions of the supplemental PDF manuals into the search indexes in order to get people to the supplemental manuals from a search query.  We will soon be rolling out a change to the search that will eliminate spurious
hits (to things like notices, editions notices, bibliography, preface, list of figures, etc from the book results).  So, perhaps a search on "system API" will bring the desired result closer to the top.  I'm sure you are aware that these manuals are not our primary focus, but we are trying to ensure ease of access to them via the Supplemental Manuals portion of the IC as well as search.  At this time, the 'Complete List of Books' view of the supplemental Manuals [
 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic2924/books/allbooks.htm

] is the closest thing we have to a quick book lookup.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on the
Information Center.  Comments received through this mechanism are part of
the information we use in making design decisions in the future.

This is from THE one and only Bob Cancilla of IGNITe/400 :-)

HTH !

Chuck

MWalter@hanoverwire.com wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I guess I flew off of the handle. I
still haven't gotten over not getting manuals with a new system. Sorry, I
still like printed  books.
But even with all of your help, I can't find the System API Reference in
printable form (PDF), only HTML on the InfoCenter site, which prints really
ugly. I used the Softcopy version I received with V4R2. I hope the API
didn't change too much.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter