  • Subject: Re: OPM to ILE conversion
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:32:31 -0400

 >> Apart from changing the type to CBLLE and compiling these programs,
what can I do to make it true ILE.

Unlike RPGIV, ILE COBOL does not provide a compatibility option - so you
are in "real" ILE whether you want to or not.

The best advice I can give you is to be careful - very careful!  ILE
COBOL's run unit is tied to the activation group (AG) - this can cause
problems when only converting part of an application since every time you
cross the AG boundary you "break" the run unit.  I suggest a very careful
look at the appropriate parts of the Programmers Guide and the ILE Concepts
manuals.  If you post further questions to the COBOL400 group (also here on
Midrange) you'll get more focus than posing them here in the general forum.

In terms of "true" ILE - think smaller-is-better and try to make use of the
ability to return a result from a call rather than simply modifying
parameters.  Some folks get a lot of mileage out of the External feature
for files - saves a lot of file opens and the record is available in
subsequent programs without the need for a read.

Jon Paris
Jon.Paris@e400.com

www.e400.com - A new wave of iSeries and AS/400 Education