  • Subject: Re: COUNTING LINES OF CODE
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:47:58 EDT

When disk space allows, I store on-line the source code associated with the
original base package before any modifications & when a never before modified
program is desired to be modified, I go to this library.

I have a library of modified in production
I have a library of modified in testing & development

Along comes a new release from the original vendor.
In some cases they have updated the same programs that we have modified,
I now have to use PDM-54 to compare what exactly they changed from their last
version, because they do not exactly adhere to their own documentation rules.
I also use PDM-54 to see the aggregate of our modifications.
This gives me the sections of code that need a merger of the two efforts.

Now in your case, you could use PDM-54 to compare your production code to the
original code & this would give you a line count, by program, that someone
altered.

A bit messy, but a start.

However, it might be smart to tell them that you will have to do some
programming to get at this information & to ask what kind of time budget you
have to do a good job of fulfilling this user request.  For example, is it
more important than your other duties?

This will determine if it is a stupid whim because someone read some place
some theory that has long since been proven false that there is a
relationship between volume & quality, or if they really know what they are
doing with this data.  Even if it is a stupid whim, you may have to do it,
but it might be easier to put the tools into the user hands ... let them see
the code which is totally greek to them, while they put the PDM-54 counts
into a spread sheet that has totals by program.