  • Subject: Re: RE: Free OS/400
  • From: "Mike Naughton" <mnaughton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 12:31:10 -0400

I think this statement is true for more than just the midrange market.
There's a reason that all (well, most!) of the web designers/java
programmers are in their twenties -- it's the young folks who like
learning new things. As we get older, most of us tend to get lazy and
stick with what we know already -- it's easier and it seems more secure.
But it's not just midrange folks -- why do you think people who already
know Windoze don't run to OS/2 or Linux? Why do people who know NT or Unix
seem deaf to the advantages of the AS/400? Resistance to change is just
human nature. As for not wanting to spend money, how many of us regularly
buy new things to try that may or may not be useful? If what you have is
"good enough", then there has to be a real incentive to invest money (and
time) in something that promises to be "better". Some people (many people
on this list, perhaps) will do this, but most won't.

IMHO, the reason Micro$oftt has "won" (so far) is that their products have
become de facto standards: everybody uses them so everybody knows how to
use them so . . . and the cycle continues. Changing this will take more
than just a better product -- it will take getting that better product
into the hands of enough people to make a difference. More aggressive
marketing is part of the answer, and so is giving away things like
WebSphere, just to get it out there.

Just my $.02 . . . .

MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com writes:
>Simon,
>
>This statement of yours is so true!  Sadly :(
>
>Scott Mildenberger

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.