  • Subject: RE: iNation privleges offer or Tax?
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:30:26 -0500

Doug,

> Brad,
>
> >I dont need to pay 22.90 to have someone tell me the iSeries
> is a good
> >machine.  If you do, good for you.
>
> I think you're missing the point.  The idea is to get the CD
> to share with those
> outside of the choir, when they can watch it at their convienence.

Like I told JT, now IBM (or BP, whoever...) wants me to buy a CD for 22.90
so that I can have a freakin slide show?  C'mon.  That's pretty poor.  I can
show them how great the iSeries is for free by showing them applications
that run on it.  Is it free shipping, or are they making another mint there
as well?

> >Do you really think IBM needs your "benefiting" by buying this CD?
>
> As I understand it, the CD was produced by a business
> partner, not IBM.  When
> you order, you are redirected to the BP's site.  So I doubt
> IBM gets much
> monetary benefit from sales of the CD.

Semantics.

> I also don't think it is the BP's responsibility to give free
> copies to whoever
> asks.  It is my understanding they produced it on their own
> dime.  I haven't
> seen it yet, so can't comment on the content or quality.  But
> the comments from
> those here who have seen it seem positive.

Watching people talk about how great the iSeries is honestly makes me feel
warm and fuzzy too!  Like with Al Barsa was on CNBC, I was really excited
about it.  Although I had to end up watching it over the net.  :(  It was
still neat.

But you still have to lead them to water before they'll drink.  And we
shouldn't be doing the leading.  The person with the product should be.

> How IBM can benefit is by increasing exposure and sales of
> the machine, not the
> CD.  At $22.90, I wouldn't say the CD is going to be a money
> maker for the BP
> either.  It sounds to me like they are just trying to recoup
> distribution costs.

They will make money.  And it will also draw money in the form of more
business for them, probably some extra money from IBM themselves, etc.  When
you put out a product like this, it's not to make money from the product,
it's to make money from other means.  It's advertising, and having people
pay for it.  It's really brilliant, actually.

> >Man, you should have saved your 22.90 and bought a clue, JT.
>  There are
> >quite a few iSeries proponents that pour their heart and
> soul into the
> >machine and the "nation" that existed before IBM started
> theirs.  Saying
> >"everyone is waiting for IBM to do and pay for it all" is
> WAY off base.
>
> And isn't that exactly what this BP did?  Pour their heart
> and soul into
> producing a CD themselves instead of waiting for IBM?  And
> then make it
> available to us for a nominal fee?

Oh please....

> Doug