  • Subject: Re: Upgrading to V4R5 (was performance problems)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:44:09 EDT

We also on 170 & soon need to updgrade V4R3 to V4R5
I been studying how & the info not been sticking in my brain.
I never before done a 400 upgrade - on 36 yes but also long ago
each revelation here is like a new uh oh to check out - thanks

Do we have enuf memory?
How do we check that?

I suspect processor speed is also a facfor

GO CMDLIC got me WRKLICINF = we are P05 processor group
GO CMDHDWRSC got me DSPHDWRSC which says we have 384 Meg (4 @ 32 & 2 @ 128)
We are running BPCS 405 CD-2 which had real serous performance problems at
192 Meg
We have 3 comm lines but recently quit using one of them
LINE01 = ECS
LINE03 = FRAMERELAY
LINE02 = *NONE

If all we doing is updating to latest OS/4 (not knowingly installing new
anything other than whatever PTFs) how do we know how much more disk storage
to estimate (I reading the manual - the stuff just not sticking to my brain)?
We're at around 75% of 12 Gig DASD consumed, according to DSPSYSSTS which I
check regularly

M36 going away.
Will OS/4 upgrade handle relevant cleanup (e.g. disk space allocated to M36)
should we kill M36 before OS4 upgrade?
how do that?

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02

Subj:    RE: Performance problems after upgrading to V4R5
Date:   06/30/2001 12:22:26 AM Central Daylight Time
From:   neilp@dpslink.com (Neil Palmer)

I have found from experience that an upgrade beyond V4R4 tends to have a
performance impact on heavily used systems - particularly those low on
memory,  I would suggest that if these systems have any less than 192MB
that you upgrade them - to 224MB or 256MB or more if posible.
For V5R1 I'm not sure yet, but SUSPECT 256MB may be a minimum
recommendation, which means some earlier RISC models that can't go beyond
192MB or 224MB, and are fairly heavily utilized, should seriously consider
whether they want to go to V5R1 or not.
For V5R2 IBM has made the decision for you on some first generation RISC
models - they won't run V5R2.

...Neil