  • Subject: RE: green screens are sometimes better
  • From: "Charly Jones" <charly301@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 02:10:25

Bob,

Shop floor isn't the only situation that green screen is
the best solution...

I just spent the afternoon studying a manual that is over 150 pages
long.  It is typical PC crap: Click here, pull this down,
look for a folder that something else got installed into,  make
sure you have all the patches, you may have to delete the old
configuration in order to change some values, if you press "back"
after you press "next" weird things will happen (it actually
has a long passage on the recovery from this "problem" situation)...

I am willing to bet it would take someone at least a day
to configure a console for the first time using these instructions.

"iSeries Operations Console Setup" SC41-5508-02 (for V5R1)

Here is the green screen equivalent:

1)  connect both ends of the twinax cable
2)  on the e(logo)Server iSeries 400 i4 set autoconfigure "on"
3)  set the 5250 terminal to address 0
4)  power on the terminal and the system

Did I forget anything?

Call me old fashioned.  Call me a geezer.  I don't care.
Anyone that thinks Ops Console is the way to go, I would
sure like to hear from you.

Charly Jones
Geezer in Gig Harbor