  • Subject: Two LPAR partitions are all you get?
  • From: "Charly Jones" <charly301@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 02:26:18

I just spent two days getting the LPAR Validater working.  You can get your
copy from:

        www.iseries.ibm.com/lpar

I strongly recommend version 1.43 - If you click on "Help" and "About LPAR
Validater" and you don't see version 1.43 in the popup window, you probably
aren't running version 1.43, which was part of why it took me two days to
get it running…  but I digress.

I am trying to configure a partitioned model 270.  My goal is to end up with
as many V5R1 partitions as possible.  I have just about convinced myself
that you cannot configure more than two V5R1 partitions.  I understand that
I could add additional Linux partitions, but my goal is to maximize the
number of V5R1 partitions.

I started with a 270-2432 which is a 1070 CPW uniprocessor.  I added a 1519
Interactive feature, which is good for 50 CPW.  I put in 2 gigabytes of
memory and asked for 3 partitions .

"Partition 0 requires a dedicated disk IOA" - So I put a 4778 RAID disk
controller in position C01.
"Partition 0 requires disk drives" - So I put some disks in position DB1.
"Partition 0 needs an internal tape or a tape IOA" - So I put a 4586 25
gigabyte QIC tape in position D08.

At this point, the partition 0 requirements have been met, but I am unable
to add anything that would be useful to partition 1.  I cannot add any CD or
tape devices. And I get the following when I try to add a second disk
controller: "This tower cannot have multiple disk IOAs in the same
partition"

So I add a 5075 tower.  I am now able to add everything required by
partition 1 - a 4778 RAID disk controller in position C01, a 4746 twinax
controller in C02, and a 2768 magnetic media controller in C03. But I have
exhausted my options for adding a "dedicated disk IOA" for partition 2 (the
third partition).  I cannot add another IOA, I cannot add another 5075
tower.

Therefor, I conclude that two partitions are all you can get in a 270. There
isn't anywhere to plug in the load source disk for the third partition.

Please tell me I am wrong.  Please tell me there is some way to add another
3 or 4 partitions that will support V5R1.  I am hoping I am wrong, I really
am.

Charly Jones
Geezer in Gig Harbor
949 253-6515  -  messages only

PS  -  Where do I plug in the CD and QIC tape drives for partition 1?

Here is the report from the LPAR Validater:

LPAR Validater Tool Report - Summary

Version.............: 1.43
Description.........: LVT - Summary
File................: C:\My Documents\charly\logical partioning\report RR
Date................: Sat Jun 30 18:56:34 PDT 2001
Status..............: Invalid configuration
                      Possible Reasons Are:
                      -  partition hardware may be installed in
                         migration towers and cannot be accounted for by
                         the LPAR validation tool
                      -  partition requires a dedicated disk IOA
                      -  partition requires a dedicated console IOA
                      -  partition requires disk drives
                      -  partition requires an internal tape or tape
                         IOA for backup purposes (or it is highly
                         recommended)
                      -  partition requires a CD-ROM for upgrade of
                         software (or it is highly recommended).
                      -  9943 removed from slot C01 and not replaced
                         in the tower
                      IT IS THE USER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT
                         ALL PARTITION REQUIREMENTS ARE MET.
Disclaimer..........: This LPAR validation is provided "as is" without
                      warranty of any kind. IBM is not responsible for
                      items ordered or not ordered as a result of this
                      output.

Partitions..........: 3

Feature Code      Primary           P1           P2           --
    0140                1            1            1            0
    1519                0            0            0            0
    2432                0            0            0            0
    2768                0            1            1            0
    2842                0            0            1            0
    4317                6            6            0            0
    4530                1            0            0            0
    4586                1            0            0            0
    4746                1            1            1            0
    4778                1            1            0            0
    5075                0            0            0            0
    9771                1            0            0            0

Feature Code   Description                           Switchable   Total
    0140       Logical Partitioning Specify                   0       3
    1519       50 CPW Interactive Card                        0       1
    2432       Model 270 Uni 1070 CPW                         0       1
    2768       Magnetic Media Ctlr                            0       2
    2842       32 MB IOP (270 Only)                           0       1
    4317       8.58 GB 10k RPM Disk Unit                      0      12
    4530       DVD-RAM                                        0       1
    4586       25 GB 1/4 inch Cartridge Tape                  0       1
    4746       Twinaxial Workstation                          0       3
    4778       RAID Disk Unit Ctlr                            0       2
    5075       Expansion Tower                                0       1
    9771       Base 2-Line WAN with Modem                     0       1